Cooking time: 30 mins.
Preparation time: 20 mins.
Main cooking utensil: casserole
Oven temperature: 375°F
Oven position: center
For 4 people you need:
4 pieces fresh haddock
1 1/4 cups fish stock-see stage 1
1/4 cup butter
1 red sweet pepper*
1-2 cups mushrooms
1 small can kernel corn
1 1/4 cups prawns or shrimp
*Or well drained canned pimiento
1. Skin the haddock, put the skin in a saucepan with water and simmer for 25 minutes – strain off 1 1/4 cups as stock.
2. Heat the butter and fry the sliced, peeled onion for 3 minutes.
3. Chop the flesh of the red sweet pepper, discard seeds and core, add to the onion and cook for further 10 minutes.
4. Put the fish, onion, pepper, whole or sliced mushrooms, fish stock into the casserole, season well.
5. Cover and bake for 20 minutes in the oven, then removed lid, add drained corn and the shelled prawns – save a few unshelled for garnish.
6. Complete cooking, then garnish with the unshelled prawns and parsley.
TO SERVE: Hot with vegetables or a salad and fresh bread and butter.
TO VARY: Other white fish may be used – omit the corn, add peas or chopped green sweet pepper, fried as red pepper.
To skin fish: Did a sharp knife in a little salt. Make a cut at tail end of fish. Gently ease the flesh away from the skin.
Printed in Canada © Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd 1967