Cooking time: 25-30 mins.
Preparation time: 15 mins.
Main cooking utensil: skillet
For 4 people you need:
3 tablespoons oil
1 chopped onion
3 skinned tomatoes
1 cup long-grain rice
pinch saffron powder
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 small green sweet pepper
3/4 – 1 lb white fish, preferably skate or other firm textured fish
1 cup cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
few shrimp in their shells
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet, fry finely chopped onion and large pieces of tomato for a few minutes.
2. Add the rice, turn in the oil, then add the saffron blended with the chicken stock. Season well.
3. Simmer gently for 5-10 minutes.
4. Add the chopped green pepper, removing seeds and core, add the fish in pieces.
5. Cook until both the fish and rice are soft.
6. Add the shrimp; heat for a few minutes only.
7. Garnish with shrimp and parsley.
TO SERVE: As soon as possible with salad. No potatoes are needed.
TO VARY: A more authentic paella is made by adding 1-2 crushed cloves of garlic, tiny pieces of uncooked chicken in place of white fish, and mussels and lobster as well as shrimp.
Printed in Canada © Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd 1967