Cooking time: 2-3 mins.
Preparation time: 15 mins.
Main cooking utensils: 6 ovenproof serving plates, cloth pastry bag with 1/4-inch plain nozzle (optional)
Oven temperature: 450-475°F
Oven position: center
For 6 servings you need:
1 raspberry-jam filled jelly roll
6 slices fresh or canned pineapple
1 quart vanilla ice cream
3 egg whites
1/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons currants
1-2 pieces candied angelica, about 1 1/2 inches in length*
*Soak in a little warm water; this makes it easier to cut into thin strips.
1. Cut the jelly roll into 6 slices and put onto the serving plates.
2. Top each slice with a pineapple slice (drain canned pineapple well).
3. Put a portion of ice cream in the center of the pineapple (make sure it is very firm and hard).
4. Cover with meringue as quickly as possible. To make the meringue beat the egg whites until very stiff then gradually beat in half the sugar and fold in the remainder.
5. Spoon or pipe over the ice cream, etc., and pile high to look like a miniature pineapple.
6. Press a few currants into the meringue to look like the ‘eyes’ and top with strips of angelica.
7. Put into 450-475°F. oven for 2-3 minutes only, until tipped with golden brown.
TO SERVE: As soon as possible after browning.
TO VARY: Soak the jelly roll with a little sherry, brandy, or kirsch before topping with pineapple.
Printed in Canada. ©Copyright The Hamlyn Publishing Group Ltd 1973
Looks like a horribly mutated snowman- two for one Halloween and Christmas dessert! But I am sure it would be tasty 😋