Corned Beef Open Sandwiches
Cooking time: 10 mins.
Preparation time: 10 mins. plus time for eggs to cool
Main cooking utensils: saucepan, cookie cutters
For 6-8 people you need:
6 slices bread
3-4 tablespoons butter
12-oz. can corned beef
tomato or red sweet pepper
few stuffed olives
mustard and cress
To flavor butter:
a) lemon butter- add little finely grated lemon rind and juice
b) watercress butter – add chopped watercress and little lemon juice
c) deviled butter – add pinch curry powder and a few drops of Worcestershire sauce
1. Hard-cook the eggs, allowing 8-10 minutes in boiling water. When they are ready, crack at once and put into cold water – this prevents a dark line forming around the yolk.
2. Cut out the desired shapes in the bread – if the bread is fresh, warm the cookies cutter and the bread will not crumble.
3. Soften the butter slightly, so it spreads without harming the shape of the bread.
4. Cut the corned beef into neat thin slices, then cut into similar shapes to the bread but a little smaller.
5. Arrange the beef on the bread and butter and garnish as show in the picture.
TO SERVE: With cocktails or as a light snack.
TO VARY: Flavor the butter as suggested.
TO STORE: Keep covered with foil or saran wrap in a cool place until ready to serve.
Printed in Canada. © Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967