Cooking time: 1 1/2 hours
Preparation time: 30 mins.
Main cooking utensils: heavy saucepan, shallow ovenproof dish
Oven temperature: 325-350°F.
Oven position: Center
For 5-6 servings you need:
1 lb. pork liver
10 oz. fat belly of pork
2 medium onions
1 clove garlic
few fresh sage leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground or grated nutmeg
few drops Tabasco sauce
1 1/2 cups fresh soft bread crumbs
Cooking the faggots:
2/3 cup stock
1. Grind the liver and belly of pork.
2. Mix the meats with finely chopped onions, garlic, and sage leaves and cook very slowly for 30 minutes in the pan, stirring well; pour off the surplus liquid.
3. Add seasoning, nutmeg, sauce, and the beaten eggs to the meat mixture.
4. Gradually blend in enough bread crumbs to make a stiff, easy-to-handle mixture.
5. Form into 10-12 small balls and put into the greased dish; let the faggots touch each other (this keeps them in good shape).
6. Add the stock and cook in a 325-350° F. oven for 30 minutes.
7. Pour off the liquid from the dish, return to the oven for another 30 minutes, topping each faggot with a small amount of lard.
TO SERVE: Hot with peas; the stock and meat juices (stage 2) may be thickened as gravy.
Printed in Canada. ©Copyright The Hamlyn Publishing Group Ltd. 1972
Amazing. Post this on FB so I can share the love. HA!