Pressed Ox Tongue
Cooking time: see stage 3
Preparation time: few mins
Main cooking utensils: large covered saucepan, spring form pan or saucepan, plate, weight
For 10-18 people you need:
1 pickled tongue*
1 large onion
1 large carrot
1 teaspoon powdered gelatin
* The size varies considerably. Salted meat shrinks, so allow a good 1/2 lb. per person
1. Soak tongue overnight in cold water.
2. Put into fresh cold water, bring to a boil, add onion, carrot, bay leaf.
3. Simmer very gently in covered pan, allowing 40 minutes per lb.
4. Lift tongue out of stock, cool.
5. Boil stock in open pan until there is just under 1 1/4 cups.
6. Remove skin of tongue and any tine bones at root of tongue
7. Place in spring form pan or saucepan, curling it round to give good shape. It needs to be a fairly tight fit.
8. Dissolve gelatin in stock, strain over tongue, put plate and a weight on top to press into shape, leave until cold.
9. Remove weight etc. dip base of tin into hot water for 1/2 minute to loosen jelly round meat, and turn out.
TO SERVE: Sliced thinly with salad.
TO VARY: Cook fresh beef tongue (the color will not be as good) with salt to taste.
TO STORE: In the refrigerator. Tongue deteriorates very quickly.
Printed in Canada. © Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967