Cooking Time: 25 mins.
Preparation time: 15 mins.
Main cooking utensil: large covered sauce pan
For 4-5 people you need:
1 1/4 – 1 1/2 lb beef tenderloin
2 small onions
6 tablespoons butter
1 cup mushrooms
2/3 cup sour cream*
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
little extra sour cream
* Or use fresh cream with 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
1. Cut the meat into thin strips 2 inches long and season.
2. Fry the chopped onions in hot butter until golden colored.
3. Add the sliced mushrooms to the onions, add the meat, and fry for 5 minutes.
4. Blend the sour cream with the flour and mustard and pour into the pan.
5. Stir well, cover the pan, simmer gently for 10 minutes until the meat is tender.
6. Add more sour cream before serving.
TO SERVE: With rice or creamed potatoes.
TO VARY: 3 tablespoons brandy can be added to the sauce at stage 6 and/or 1 tablespoon tomato paste at stage 4.
Economical beef stroganoff:
Use beef stew meat. Fry in hot butter with mushrooms, then add packaged onion soup blended with 2 1/2 cups water. Simmer for 1 1/4- 1 1/2 hours then proceed as stage 4, using sour cream or yogurt.
Printed in Canada. ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967
I LOVE beef stroganoff!