Cooking time: approximately 2 hours
Preparation time: 15 mins
Main cooking utensils: baking sheet 1/2 to 1-in plain nozzle and pastry bag
Oven temperature: 225-250°F
Oven position: center
For about 12-18 you need:
2 egg whites
1/2 cup granulated sugar or 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
Flavorings: see card 31**
oil or butter to grease baking sheet
little whipped cream
red currant jelly
1. Beat the egg whites until very stiff.
2. Add the sugar. Card 30 gives the ways in which this may be done.
3. Put the mixture into the pastry bag to which the nozzle has been fitted.
4. Pipe into desired shapes – bake.
For animals cut shape in paper, oil well, put onto oiled or buttered baking sheet, pipe over or put cookie cutter of desired shape onto baking sheet, fill carefully then pull up from the meringue mixture.
5. For fingers, hold nozzle near baking sheet at angle of pen when writing, pipe slowly but evenly, lift up rapidly for neat end.
6. For rosettes, pipe desired size, hold pastry bag completely upright, lift up very sharply.
7. For mushrooms use 1/4 inch plain nozzle, make short finger, then small rosette. Bake separately. Sandwich together with whipped cream or butter cream.
* From Card 30
Adding sugar: Gradually beat in half the sugar, then fold in the remainder. There are other ways of incorporating all the sugar – it can ALL be folded in – it can ALL be beaten in gradually, but the above is generally the best, giving a stiff, shiny mixture.
** From Card 31
Chocolate: Add 1 tablespoon sifted cocoa or 1 tablespoon drinking chocolate powder to the sugar
Coffee: Add 1 1/2 -2 teaspoons instant coffee powder to the sugar. A few drops of coffee extract may be added to the egg whites after beating.
Printed in Canada. ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd 1967