Cooking time: 45 mins.
Preparation time: 15 mins.
Main cooking utensil: 2-lb loaf pan
Oven temperature: 375°F.
Oven position: center
For 10 servings you need:
4 cups all-purpose flour sifted with 4 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup lard or shortening
1/3 cup currants
1/3 cup raisins
1 cooking apple
milk to mix
1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 tart eating apple (red) cored and sliced
1. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt
2. Rub in the fat, mixing in beaten eggs, currants, raisins, peeled and diced cooking apple.
3. Add milk to make stick consistency.
4. Put into greased and floured loaf pan.
5. Bake for time and temperature given.
6. Test by pressing firmly on top, if no impression left by finger and if cake has shrunk away from sides of pan, turn out.
7. When cool, ice cake with glace icing made by blending confectioners’ sugar and water.
8. Decorate with sliced apple, dipped in lemon juice to keep white.
TO SERVE: As a cake, but if not decorated it is also a good coffee cake.
TO STORE: Eat when fresh.
TO VARY: 1/4-1/2 cup sugar may be added at stage 1 if liked.
Printed in Canada. ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967