Cooking time: few mins.
Freezing time: 13 hours
Preparation time: 30 mins.
Main cooking utensils: saucepan 7 – to 8 -in. soufflé dish
For 6-8 servings you need:
2 tablespoons sugar
2/3 cup water
2/3 cup raisins
2/3 cup seedles [SIC] white raisins
2/3 cup currants
2 1/2 cups vanilla ice cream *
1/4 cup candied cherries
3 tablespoons brandy or sherry
*Bought or made as follows: Beat 3 egg yolks and 3/4-1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar until thick with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Whip 2 1/2 cups whipping cream and blend with egg yolks. Freeze for 1 hour, fold in 3 stiffly beaten egg whites. Freeze until firm.
1. Dissolve the sugar in the water to make a syrup and add teh dried fruit.
2. Bring to the boil, pour immediately into a bowl and leave to cool completely.
3. Drain the dried fruit of all the syrup and mix with the ice cream together with the halved cherries and the brandy or sherry.
4. Pack into a dish and put into the refrigerator freezing compartment or home freezer for about 10 hours.
5. Turn out and place the ladyfingers around the edge.
6. Tie them in place with a piece of brightly colored ribbon.
TO STORE: This should be kept in the freezer until ready to serve.
TO VARY: Add chopped nuts.
Printed in Canada. ©Copyright The Hamylyn Publishing Group Ltd. 1972