Cooking time: 1 1/2 hours
Preparation time: 30 mins.
Main cooking utensils: 8-in. layer cake pan, cookie sheet
Oven temperature: 200-250°F.
For 8 servings you need:
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup clear honey
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 1/2 cup matzo crumbs
1 cup raisins
1 egg white
1/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
3 tablespoons green tinted shredded coconut*
1. Cream butter and sugar.
2. Add honey and cocoa and beat well.
3. Work in crumbs and raisins.
4. Press into an ungreased layer cake pan and leave overnight pressed well down.
5. Beat the egg white very stiffly, gradually beat in half sugar, then fold in the rest.
6. Either pipe the rounds and stalks of toadstools or spoon these onto the buttered cookie sheet.
7. Dry off in the oven until crisp.
8. Cream the butter, confectioners’ sugar and cocoa, spread over top of the cake and over the underside of the toadstools.
9. Stand the toadstools on the cake and put green colored coconut around the edge, and the edge of the plate.
*To Tint coconut green: Put approximately 4-5 drops green food coloring on a plate, gradually work the coconut into this, allow to dry before using.
Printed in Canada. ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd 1967