Cooking time: 40 mins.
Preparation time: 15 mins.
Main cooking utensil: shallow flameproof casserole with lid (see stage 1)
Oven temperature: 350-375°
Oven position: above center
For 4 servings you need:
2 tablespoons margarine
10 oz. skinless sausages*
1 large onion
1 large leek or another onion
1 lb. firm cabbage *use heart of cabbage or white Dutch cabbage)
1/2 lb. tomatoes
*There is no need to defrost frozen sausages before cooking
1. Melt the margarine in the flameproof casserole. If you do not have this type of casserole then use a skillet plus an ovenproof casserole.
2. Fry the sausages until golden brown, lift out of the skillet onto a plate.
3. Peel the onion and slice thinly; wash and slice the leek.
4. Toss the onion and leek in the margarine remaining in the pan for 5 minutes.
5. Add the finely-shredded cabbage and the skinned, deseeded, and chopped tomatoes; continue cooking for a few minutes.
6. Season the mixture well; if using a flameproof casserole put on the lid and transfer to the oven; if using an ordinary skillet tip into the ovenproof casserole and cover.
7. Bake for 20 minutes in a 350-375° F. oven.
8. Remove lid, add the sausages and heat for a further 10 minutes.
TO SERVE: Hot with baked potatoes.
TO VARY: This dish, like many other casserole dishes, may be cooked in a covered saucepan over a very low heat.
©Copyright The Hamlyn PUblishing Group Ltd 1973, Printed in Canada.