Convenient tinned luncheon sardines combine with hard-cooked eggs to make a tasty filling inside a quickly prepared flaky pastry. Serve in slices with or without a dollop of sour cream.
For 8 to 10 appetizer portions you will need:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup creamed cottage cheese
1 to 2 Tbsp. ice water
2 cans (8 oz each) luncheon sardines, drained
3 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and sliced
1 green onion,finely minced
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. dried dill weed
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. milk
Sour cream optional
1. To prepare pastry, measure flour into mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until the size of split peas.
2. Add the cottage cheese and stir with fork until it is evenly mixed into the flour. If necessary, sprinkle with enough water to make pastry hold together in a ball. (Amount varies depending on moistness of cottage cheese you use.) Shape into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill 20 min.
3. Roll pastry out to make a 12-by-16-inch oval. Transfer onto greased baking sheet.
4. Position the filling lengthwise on one-half of the pastry. Layer sardines, eggs and onion, making 3 layers of sardines with eggs between. Sprinkle with lemon juice, dill and salt.
5. Fold other portion of pastry over filling, making a half-oval-shaped pie. Trim edges and seal.
6. Roll out trimmings and cut into strips using a fancy cutter. Mix egg and milk. Brush over pie. Place trimming strips over pie. Brush with egg mixture.
7. Bake at 400°F for 25 min. To serve, cut into slices. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
©MCMLXXXIV My Great Recipes. All Rights Reserved. Printed in Holland.
The cutting board is a fish! Awesome.