2 whole chicken breasts, and 4 chicken legs (4lb in all)
3 small onions, quartered
4 medium carrots, pared and cut in 2-inch pieces
2 stalks celery, cut up
1 can (10 3/4oz) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 bay leaves
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons lemon juice
6 tablespoons flour
1 cup buttermilk biscuit mix
1/3 cup milk
1. Wash chicken pieces; pat dry. Split breasts in half; cut in half crosswise. Cut drumsticks and thighs apart. Put in 6 -quart Dutch oven.
2. Add onion, carrot, celery, undiluted chicken broth, salt, bay leaves, pepper, thyme, lemon juice, and 3 cups water. Bring to boiling over high heat; reduce heat; simmer, covered, 35 minutes, or until chicken and vegetables are tender.
3. With slotted spoon, remove chicken and vegetables to platter. String broth into large bowl, measure broth (you should have 5 cups), and return to pan. Bring to boiling.
4. In small bowl, blend flour and 1/2 cup water until smooth; pour mixture into boiling broth, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute, or until broth thickens. Return chicken and vegetables to Dutch oven. Bring to boiling, covered. Meanwhile, make Fluffy Dumplings: Prepare biscuit mix with milk as label directs.
5. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto top of boiling chicken and vegetables. Cook, uncovered, 10 minutes. Cover tightly; cook over medium heat (mixture should be bubbling), 10 minutes longer, or until dumplings are puffed and wooden pick inserted in dumpling comes out clean. Remove from heat. Arrange on large platter; garnish with parsley.
©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.