Preparation time: 10 to 20 min.
First chilling time: 35 min.
Second chilling time: 2 to 4 hrs or overnight
You can prepare this salad in individual molds or one 4-cup
fancy mold. One layer is blueberries in gelatin, and the second is a creamy cheese mixture that takes the place of a dressing. unmold the salad on a bed of crisp greens and top with toasted pecans for a beautiful presentation.
For 1 mold, 4 to 6 servings, you will need:
1 can (about 15 oz.) blueberries
1 pkg. (3 oz.) black raspberry flavored gelatin
1 cup boiling water
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 pkgs. (3 oz. each) cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
Crisp lettuce leaves
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
3 or 4 pecan halves, for garnish
1. Drain blueberries and measure juice. You should have 1 cup. If not, add water to equal that amount. Set aside.
2. Dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water. Add the lemon juice. Place bowl over ice and stir until gelatin is cool. Add blueberry juice and stir until the mixture has slightly thickened. Add blueberries.
3. Pour into 4 oiled individual salad molds, about 6-ounce size or 6 molds, about 4-ounce size, or pour into a 4-cup salad mold. Chill until set, about 35 min.
4. Whip cream cheese and sour cream. Spread over salad that has set in the mold. Chill 2 to 4 hrs. or overnight until ready to serve.
5. Unmold onto lettuce-lined salad plate or plates. Sprinkle with toasted pecans.
Good served with: Poultry or ham, along with a traditional holiday meal; or serve from large mold for a buffet.
Tips: For a firmer salad, reduce the amount of boiling water to 3/4 cup.
© MCMLXXXIV My Great Recipes. All Rights Reserved. Printed in Holland.