Cooking time: see Stage 5
Preparation time: dependent on vegetables added
Main cooking utensil: large saucepan
You will need:
3lb smoked picnic shoulder or shoulder butt
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
2/3 cup ham stock
2/3 cup milk
2-3 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. Wash and soak salted pork or ham overnight or for several hours in cold water*
2. Put soaked (or unsoaked) into a saucepan, cover with cold water.
3. Bring the wanter to a boil, skim, i.e., remove any greyish scum floating on the top.
4. Add pepper, but no salt.
5. Put a lid on the pan and cook slowly allowing 35 minutes per lb.
6. Add vegetables, e.g., carrots, onions, potatoes, during cooking.
TO SERVE: Hot with vegetables and parsley sauce. To make the sauce for 4 people, heat butter, stir in flour, cook for several minutes, then gradually add ham stock, milk, seasoning, and parskely. Boil until thickened and smooth.
To serve cold: Cool in the liquid, remove rind, and coat with crisp bread crumbs.
TO STORE: In the refrigerator, keep covered to prevent drying.
*Mild-cure pork or ham cuts do not need soaking.
Printed in Canada. © Copyright Paul Hamlyn, Ltd. 1967