Cold Roast Meat Loaf
1/2 cup packaged dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
1 cup chopped parsley
1 1/2 lb ground veal
1/2 lb lean ground pork
1 lemon, thinly sliced
6 slices bacon
1 Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In large bowl, combine eggs, bread crumbs, mustard, basil, salt, pepper, Tabasco, onion, green pepper, and parsley; beat with fork until well combined. Let stand 5 minutes.
3. Add veal and pork; mix well with fork.
4. Line 13-by-9-by-1 3/4-inch pan with foil (use piece long enough to hang over ends of pan). Turn meat loaf mixture into pan. Shape with hands to form loaf, 8 inches long and 4 inches wide. Overlap lemon slices on top; place bacon slices lengthwise on top.
5. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour and 15 minutes.
6. Let cooling pan on wire rack, 30 minutes. Lifting with foil, remove meat loaf to serving platter. Refrigerate several hours, covered, to chill well.
7. Serve with mustard and garnished with salad greens and sliced tomatoes, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
© Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.