Gettysburg Veal Casserole
1/2 cup butter or margarine
4 lb boneless veal, cut in 1-inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cans (10 1/2-oz size) condensed cream-of-mushroom soup, undiluted
3 cups sliced onion
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/8 teaspoon Tabasco
1/4 cup sherry
1 cup dairy sour cream
1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Hot cooked rice
1. Heat 1/4 cup butter in large skille. Add veal, half at a time, and brown well on all sides. Remove as browned to large, deep roasting pan with tight-fitting cover.
2. Sprinkle veal with salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Spoon mushroom soup over top.
3. Preheat oven to 375F.
4. Heat remaining butter in same skillet. Add onion; sauté until golden. Place on meat mixture in roasting pan.
5. Add 1/4 cup water, seasoned salt, and Tabasco to skillet; bring to boiling, stirring to dissolve browned bits in pan. Pour over onion.
6. Bake, covered, 1 hour and 20 minutes.
7. Remove cover. Add sherry and sour cream; sprinkle with cracked pepper; stir gently just until blended. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes longer. Serve over rice.
Makes 12 servings.
©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.