Layered Turkish Casserole
Layers of color- peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, meat and rice make this dish entertaining. Fragrantly season with cinnamon and allspice, the casserole needs only a pita bread and green salad.
For 4 servings you will need:
1 medium eggplant
1/2 cup rice plus 1/4 tsp. allspice
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground lamb
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1 onion chopped
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 green pepper
1 large tomato
Tips: Raisins or currants can be added to the rice for a more authentic dish.
Salting eggplant removes some of the moisture.
1. Slice eggplant in 1/2 inch slices. Sprinkle with salt. Set aside while preparing rest of casserole.
2. Cook 1/2 cup rice according to package directions, adding 1/4 tsp allspice.
3. Place the beef, lamb, garlic, and onion in skillet. Cook, stirring, to combine ingredients for 10 to 15 minutes. Season with cinnamon and salt.
4. Slice green peper and tomato. Place the pepper slices in an oiled 1 1/2 quart casserole dish, in a wheel spoke fashion. Cover with the tomato slices. Top with meat mixture.
5. Pat eggplant dry with paper towels. Cut eggplant slices in half. Cover meat with half of the slices, placing the skin to outside.
6. Spread rice over eggplant. Top with remainders of eggplant.
7. Bake, covered at 350°F for 50 minutes.
8. Remove from oven, let sit for 10 minutes. Invert onto a serving dish.
©MCMLXXXV My Great Recipes® All Rights Reserved. Printed in Holland