Gateau Au Chocolat
4 bars (4-oz size) German’s sweet cooking chocolate
1/2 cup soft sweet butter
4 teaspoons sugar
4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1. Lightly grease 9-by-5-by-3 inch loaf pan; line with waxed paper. Separate eggs, placing whites and yolks in large bowls. Let whites warm to room temperature – about 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 425F.
3. In top of double boiler, melt chocolate over hot, not boiling, water, stirring occasionally. Remove from water. Beat in butter with spoon.
4. Meanwhile, with portable electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff; set aside.
5. With same beater, beat yolks until thick and lemon colored. Slowly add sugar, beating constantly. Add flour, beating just until blended.
6. Stir into chocolate mixture. With rubber scraper or wire whisk, gently fold chocolate mixture into beaten egg whites.
7. Turn into prepared pan. Reduce oven temperature to 350F. Bake 25 minutes.
8. Let cool completely in pan on wire rack; cake will settle like a cheesecake. Refrigerate until well chilled – about 4 hours.
9. To serve: Loosen cake; remove from pan by inverting on serving plate. If desired, decorate with Chocolate Curls (Card 18h). Cut cake into 3/4 inch slices.
Makes 16 servings.
Note: This is a heavy, rich, moist cake, almost like a pudding that keeps well under refrigeration.
©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.